Media Round-Up: 06 March - 18 March 2021
The following media round up on international, legal and foreign policy issues from around the Balkans for the period of 19 February - 05 March 2021. The Guernica Group will provide bi-weekly media updates with a focus Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia . Should you wish to contribute or submit a media summary, opinion piece or blog, please send to Ned Vucijak at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Serbia – 18 March 2021
During the last few days, an online workshop was held in Serbia on “Preventive work and proactive approach in detecting cases of human trafficking for the purpose of labour exploitation”. Seventeen labour inspectors from different city’s all over Serbia joined the workshop. One of the expert guest speakers was Mr Van Hauwermeiren, director of the anti-trafficking inspectorate from Belgium. With the support of the European Union and the Council of Europe, in the past three years, about 15 training activities were organised that covered almost all labour inspectors in Serbia. It is hoped that this workshop will help prevent labour exploitation and help the victims who often are not aware of their fundamental working rights.
Serbia – 18 March 2021
The Higher Court in Belgrade has agreed to take over the case of Dregomir Kezunovic, a former Bosnian Serb military police officer, who was convicted by The Bosnian state court for crimes against humanity. He was sentenced to 14 years imprisonment. An appeal against that verdict will be heard in the Serbian higher court.
Montenegro - 11 March 2021
In 2018 two plaintiffs Vukcevic and Baranin, appealed to the European Court of Human Rights, accusing an unidentified police officer from Montenegro’s Special Police Unit SAJ of ill-treatment during the protest in Podgorica in 2015. The European Court of Human Rights ruled last week in favour of the plaintiffs and awarded them 7500 euros each.
Croatia – 18 March 2021
The European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg ruled that Croatia violated Article 1 of Protocol number 1 to the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and the Fundamental Freedom, to the right to the peaceful enjoyment of possessions. The ECHR ruled that Croatia had to pay the plaintiff 3,200 euros in damages and 833 euros in court fees.
The plaintiff Nikola Dabić, fled Croatia during the war in 1995 and as a result had to leave his home and most of his possession behind. In 2000, Mr Danic applied to recover his possessions and his application was accepted.
Bosnia and Herzegovina – 16 March 2021
The Activists from the Centre for Non-Violent Action, have continued putting up memorial sings on unmarked war time locations. During the Bosnian war many different locations like Schools Museums, large buildings, farms, night clubs etc. where used as detention camps, prisons or how the Centre of Non-Violents called them “ sites of suffering”. In the past 5 years the organisation has mark 111 sites with temporary memorial signs. “ By marking these sites, we intend to remind people and the general public that we too have a responsibility. We also want to achieve justice and bring the perpetrators to justice….” said Radomir Radevic one of the activists.
Bosnia and Herzegovina – 5 March 2021
The Council of Europe HELP programme launched an online course, for 100 of legal professionals and Law students in BiH, on the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights. The program helps and supports the legal professionals to effectively and responsibly apply European Human Rights laws.
Kosovo – 17 March 2021
A former Commander of the Kosovo Liberation Army also known as Commander Wolf, Pjeter Shala, was arrested on Tuesday 16th March, in Belgium and is waiting to be transferred to the Kosovo Specialist Court detention centre in The Hague. The specialist court has said that more information about the indictment will be given soon.
Kosovo - 15 March 2021
Former President Hashim Thaci defence team, argued that Thacis right to a fair trial is being violated; it was argued that the gravity of the violations is so severe that it warrants dismissal of all charges and that Mr Thaci should be release.
Skopje Criminal Court sentenced three Ethnic Albanians, Alil Dimitri, Agim Ismailovic, and Afrim Ismailovic to life in prison. The Court found them guilty of terrorism for killing five Macedonians. The crime was committed in 2012 and is still causing ethical controversy in the country.